USFQ's College of Sciences and Engineering, with the aim of promoting scientific research and promoting the ingenuity and creativity of young Ecuadorians interested in studying environmental issues, awards the Terra Mater Scholarship. This scholarship is aimed at students who demonstrate academic excellence and want to enter the world of research focused on environmental issues.
A scholarship at the College of Sciences and Engineering for the Environmental Engineering program, covering 100% of fees for first place winner in the Terra Mater Scholarship Contest.
The value of the awarded scholarship is subject to change according to the application of the Fees Regulations.
- High School Seniors.
- Students who have completed high school no more than one year before the application date.
- Applicants may not have been enrolled in any other university or institute.
- A GPA of at least 9/10 during their senior year.
- Have taken the Academic Aptitude Test (PAA) with a score of at least 1900/2400 before March 28th, 2020.
- Win First Place in the Terra Mater Scholarship Contest.
Registration for the Terra Mater Scholarship is free and is done through the USFQ website.
1. High School Seniors from all schools legally recognized by the Ministry of Education of Ecuador.
2. Students who have completed their high school one year prior to the date of application, who were not enrolled in any other university or institute.
3. A GPA of at least 9/10 during their senior year.
4. Participation in the contest will be individual. Each student must register on the registration page by April 9th, 2020. There is no cost to register for the Contest.
5. The Contest will consist of two (2) stages. The first stage consists of a seminar and the second stage consists of theoretical and practical exams, and an interview with the evaluating jury. The seminar will present research carried out by our Environmental Engineering professors in the following areas:
- Solid Residues.
Conferences will be held from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. on April 17th, 2020.
6. On the second day (April 18th, 2020) students will take a theoretical exam consisting of 60 multiple-choice questions on the information presented the previous day and an experimental test at the Environmental Engineering Laboratories. Students must present their ID card, student card, passport, or any photo ID. The theoretical exam will begin at 9:00 a.m. on April 18th, 2020 and will last 90 minutes, which cannot be extended. The practical test will take place from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on the same day.
During conferences, students should take notes of what they consider necessary. It is suggested that students prepare in advance of the seminar and exam by reviewing Environmental Engineering texts available on the market. The texts that the Organizing Committee suggests for the study are:
- Masters, G. and Ela, W. 2008. Introduction to Environmental Engineering. 3rd edition. Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Mihelcic, J. y Zimmerman, J. B. 2011. Environmental Engineering: basics, sustainability, design. Alfaomega.
7. Starting at 2:00 p.m. on April 18th, 2020, interviews will be held with the evaluating jury made up of professors of Environmental Engineering and a representative of the Dean of the College of Sciences and Engineering.
8. The Evaluating Jury will make its final and unappealable decision based on the following scores:
|Written Exam||50 points|
|Experimental test||50 points|
Table 1. Scores for the Terra Mater Scholarship Contest
The Evaluating Jury reserves the right to declare the Contest void if it considers that the level of knowledge of the students is not adequate.
9. The student's results will be published on Thursday, April 30th, 2020 on the College of Sciences and Engineering's website.
10. The student who receives the Terra Mater Scholarship must have successfully taken and passed the Academic Aptitude Test for entrance into USFQ with a minimum score of 1900/2400 points on the PAA exam by March 28th, 2020.
11. The student who receives the Terra Mater Scholarship must confirm their acceptance of the scholarship by May 8th, 2020. If their score is below the established minimum, the University reserves the right not to deliver the Terra Mater Scholarship.
12. USFQ does not save or reserve scholarships for subsequent years.
|November 25th, 2019 through April 9th, 2020||Registration|
|April 17th, 2020||Seminar|
|April 18th, 2020||Theoretical and practical exams/Interview with the Evaluating Jury|
|April 30th, 2020||Publication of Results|
|May 8th, 2020||Confirmation of acceptance of Terra Mater Scholarship|
Las inscripciones se realizarán a partir del 25 de noviembre de 2019 hasta el 09 de junio de 2020.
En caso de tener preguntas, dirigirse a la dirección de correo electrónico:
Teléfonos: 297-1700 ext 1208 o 1217.