The Euclid Scholarship aims to promote scientific research, stimulate intellectual development, and encourage Ecuadorian youth to study Mathematical Sciences. The scholarship is awarded through a competition to the students who obtain the best scores, giving an additional stimulus to those students who reach the first places in the National Olympics of the SEdeM (Sociedad Ecuatoriana de Matemática), in the category of Youth 3 and in the OMEC Olympics (Olimpiadas Matemáticas Ecuatorianas).
The calendar and the bases of the SEDEM and OMEC Olympics will be updated in the web pages:
The prizes to be awarded are:
- Two Euclid scholarships of 85% of the value of fees for the study of Mathematics at the USFQ.
- One Euclid scholarship of 70% of the value of fees for the study of Mathematics at USFQ.
These scholarships may be used exclusively for the study of Mathematics at USFQ.
- Candidates for this scholarship may be:
- Students who have participated in the 2019 or 2021 SEdeM Olympics and have received gold, silver or bronze medals in the youth category 3. For 2021, this will be contingent on the COVID-19 situation and the call made by the SEdeM). In the case of medalists from the last SEdeM Olympics who are in their 2nd year of high school, their medal will be taken into account to participate in the Euclid competition in 2022.
- Students who have participated in the 2020 or 2021 OMEC Olympics and have received gold, silver or bronze medals in the higher categories
- Students who show interest in the career of Mathematics, who are in their third year of high school in educational units legally recognized by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Ecuador and who have completed their maximum studies one year prior to the date of application. Applicants may not have been enrolled in any other university or institute.
- To be eligible for the Euclid scholarship, students must comply with the following competition stages:
STAGE A: Perform and pass the Academic Aptitude Test (PAA), to enter the USFQ, with a score of 1600/2400.
The minimum score in the math part is 900/1200.
For students who took their entrance exam between January 2020 and March 2020, the minimum score in the overall component is 1900 and in the math component is 740/800.
The deadline for taking the PAA test is June 12, 2021.
STAGE B: Register by June 14, 2021 to participate in the Euclid contest and take the exam of the contest organized by the Evaluation Committee. If the student is a SEdeM or OMEC medalist, he/she must also contact the Mathematics Coordinator, Andrea Moreira email@example.com within 15 working days from the official publication of the results of the Olympics to confirm his/her intention to participate in the Euclid Scholarship contest.
STAGE C: Apply for the contest exam and a personal interview organized by the Contest Evaluation Committee.
- About the qualification: The final score in the contest will be the sum of the partial scores obtained in each of the stages. Being SEDEM or OMEC medalists will contribute additional points to the contest, but will not exclude other participants.
In case the scores established in the admission exam are not reached, the University reserves the right NOT to award the scholarship to that contestant.
- The Contest Evaluation Tribunal will be composed of three or more members of the Mathematics Department of the USFQ. The results of the evaluation and the selection of the winners of the Scholarships made by this Tribunal will be unappealable. This decision will be informed to the winners of the scholarships.
- Acceptance of the Scholarship:
- Each winner of a Scholarship in this Competition must communicate the acceptance of the Scholarship to the Evaluation Tribunal until a maximum of 10 working days after the announcement of the results.
- The winning students of the Euclid contest must enroll in the Mathematics career of the USFQ within the deadlines described below. After this period, the scholarship will be considered cancelled.
- Until August 2021 for students who are in 3rd year of high school of the Sierra regime and those who already have a high school degree at the time of the contest.
- Until August 2022 for the students who are in 3rd year of high school of the Costa regime.
- Failure to comply with any of the procedures for acceptance of scholarship mentioned here will mean the non-acceptance of the same by the winner, so the Competition Evaluation Tribunal may reassign the scholarship to another participant or leave it vacant, without this generating any right to claim.
- The Evaluation Tribunal reserves the right to declare the Contest deserted for one or more of the Scholarships offered.
* Last date for the entrance exam: June 12, 2021.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or telephone number (593) 099 737 4122
Department of Mathematics, Universidad San Francisco de Quito USFQ
- Scholarship Department and
- Financial Assistance, USFQ
- Administrative Assistants of the College of Science and Engineering (Polytechnic)
- Department of Admissions, USFQ