Master’s in Nutrition Science
Approved 1 August 2018
Resolution RPC-SO-28-No.460 -2018
Master’s in Nutrition Science, Mention in Clinical Nutrition
Master’s in Nutrition Science, Mention in Nutritional Epidemiology
Total credits: 59
Academic hours: 2.720
Monday through Friday from 8h00 to 17h00
Start of classes:
Dates of entrance examination:
12 January, 16 February, 16 March, 13 April, 11 May, 8 June and 29 June of 2019
Nutrition is a field of health sciences with innumerable applications in medicine, environmental sciences, food sciences, agriculture, economics, and anthropology, among other fields.
The demand for knowledge in nutritional epidemiology and clinical nutrition is enormous given that the country does not have enough postgraduate professionals in these two fields. This program forms professionals that can generate and apply clinical nutrition knowledge in order to bring personalized attention to outpatients and hospitalized patients, as well as nutritional epidemiology knowledge in order to define, characterize, and confront population-level nutritional problems, thus generating an impact on the nutritional quality of individuals and populations.
Who is it aimed at?
This program is designed for professionals who are interested in contributing to improved health and nutrition in the population of Ecuador through contributions arising from scientific research.
This program is designed for professionals with a university degree preferably in nutrition and dietetics and the detailed fields of medicine, nursing and obstetrics, public health, biochemistry and pharmaceutics, biology, and food processing, or the specific field of biological sciences and related subjects.
Professionals who are interested in contributing to improved health and nutrition in the population of Ecuador through contributions arising from scientific research.
For further information:
Telephone: (+593 2) 297-1700 ext. 1261
Telephone: (+593 2) 297-1700 ext. 1824
Employment opportunities for program graduates are found mainly in the social sectors of health, nutrition, and higher education, in the field of academia, and in public or private institutions.
In this scenario, future graduates will seek employment in: teaching; investigating the solution to nutritional problems that affect individuals and population groups; design and implementation of programs that can change the country’s nutritional epidemiology; and, in the evaluation of interventions and means of providing individual attention to clinical nutrition problems, thus covering the great demand for postgraduate professionals with sophisticated training in research techniques.
Contributes to the development of universal thought, fosters scientific production in Ecuador and technological innovation in nutrition, health, and epidemiology
Generates responsible professionals that behave in ethical fashion and that are conscious of Ecuadorian problems
Emphasizes an integral perspective towards health
Promotes work in multidisciplinary teams
- University degree, duly registered with SENESCYT, in nutrition and dietetics and the fields of medicine, nursing and obstetrics, public health, biochemistry and pharmaceutics, biology, or food processing, or in the specific field of biological sciences and related subjects.
- Demonstrate sufficiency in English equivalent to Level A2 in the Common European Framework for Foreign Languages.
- Copy of national identity card or passport.
- Degree certificate with final grade.
- Official grade transcript.
- Printed SENESCYT registration of degree.
- Approve the USFQ postgraduate entrance examination. Please refer to the postgraduate admissions process at USFQ: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/admisiones/admisiones_posgrado
- Present three letters of recommendation written by professionals in public or clinical health, in a sealed envelope, addressed to the Program Director. The letters must highlight the qualities, strengths, and capacities of the candidate with regards to his or her entrance to the program. They must also include information contact for the professional writing the recommendation.
- On-site interview with the Program Director in order to assess attitude, interest, professional ambitions, and potential contributions of the program to those ambitions.
- Present an essay, of no more than four pages, that could become a research proposal.
Funding and scholarships
- Payment: Cash, check, credit card.
- USFQ Alumni have a 10% discount.
Option 1: Full payment
- May be deferred in 3,6 or 12 months without interest (Banco Pichincha and Banco Guayaquil credit cards, and Diners), all other credit cards current payments only.
Option 2: 2 installments:
- 1st installment $7,750 August, 3, 6 and 9 months without interest, 12 months with interest (Banco Pichincha and Banco Guayaquil credit cards, and Diners), all other credit cards current payments only.
- 2nd installment $7,750 August, 3, 6 and 9 months without interest, 12 months with interest (Banco Pichincha and Banco Guayaquil credit cards, and Diners), all other credit cards current payments only.
Option 3: Payment by period:
- 6 installments:
- 1st installment $2,583.34 August, 3 and 6 months without interest, 9 and 12 months with interest
- 2nd installment $2,583.34 December, 3 and 6 months without interest, 9 and 12 months with interest
- 3rd installment $2,583.33 April, 3 and 6 months without interest, 9 and 12 months with interest
- 4th installment $2,583.33 August, 3 and 6 months without interest, 9 and 12 months with interest
- 5th installment $2,583.33 December, 3 and 6 months without interest, 9 and 12 months with interest
- 6th installment $2,583.33 April, 3 and 6 months without interest, 9 and 12 months with interest
Option 4: Monthly payments:
- Based on payment plan by means of checks cashed monthly (Office E 100).
Option 5: Payment via educational credit/financial institution, by means of check or guarantee voucher while the bank completes disbursement (Office E 100).
NOTE: Before paying (at Treasury), please contact Robert Gonzales in order to define your payment plan at 2971700 ext. 1892. Office E100.
In accordance with the Postgraduate Scholarship Regulations of the program, one full scholarship that can be given to one, two, or three students will be awarded. Economic situation and academic excellence of candidates will be considered.