Specialization in Health Management
Specialist in Health Management
Total credits: 34
Academic hours: 544
Class sessions three days a week every fifteen days.
Friday from 17h00 to 21h00,
Saturday from 08h00 to 18h00 and
Sunday from 08h00 to 14h00.
Start of classes:
February 2018 (last cohort).
Dates of entrance examination:
Program not currently available for new applications. New offering is pending.
The program emphasizes student-teacher interaction, analysis of reading material, discussion seminars, individual and group work.
Includes learning with on-line education tools – USFQ D2L virtual platform
Observation visits to public and private, hospital and non-hospital health centers
The Specialization in Health Management at USFQ seeks to develop integral and specialized management competencies directed at the country’s health services, with an emphasis on hospital care, the training profiles of which are adequate to the requirements and characteristics of Ecuador’s health sector, and contribute to improving the health conditions and lives of the Ecuadorian population.
- Aimed at professionals in health disciplines (doctors, nurses, odontologists, psychologists, etc.), business managers, commercial and industrial managers in companies involved with medical technology and equipment, industrial engineers, computer engineers, architects, economists, and related sciences.
- Must have an enterprising spirit, as demonstrated by personal and professional achievements accomplished in their lifetime.
- Total commitment to his or her education, which must be reflected in the grades obtained in the program, as well as in any non-academic activities undertaken in association or not with the university
- Commitment with the socio-economic, sanitary, and scientific-technological development of the country
Graduate profile: Competencies
Upon successfully concluding the program, students will be able to:
- Understand the importance of integral health service management, both public and private, especially hospital care, in the context of 21st-century managerial innovations and integral health attention networks.
- Undertake description, analysis, and interpretation of problems that affect the administration of health services, both public and private, and their incidence in public health.
- Develop management skills necessary to enhance planning, organization, direction, and control capacities in different administrative areas, with an emphasis on quality management.
- Undertake analyses and field studies for the identification of management problems in health services, and their solution, following the principles of the scientific method, and the precepts of participatory action research.
For further information:
Ramiro Echeverría T.
Telephone: (+593 2) 297-1700 ext. 1094
Telephone: (+593 2) 297-1851 or (+593 2) 297-1700 ext. 1526
Postgraduate Coordinator – Admissions
Telephone: (+593 2) 297-1700 ext. 1824
- Managers of health programs, projects, and services, hospital and non-hospital, in both public and private institutions of the Ecuadorian health sector.
- Advisers, promoters, and managers of interdisciplinary work teams facing problems related to the management and operation of health services in the country, including the design of plans and programs for the maintenance and use of medical technologies and equipment in the country’s health attention centers.
- The Specialization in Health Management program is a response to needs for improvement in the management of our country’s health services, highly applicable due to its solid theoretical formation, and its methodological and instrumental approaches, which enable graduates to immediately put in practice their managerial knowledge and skills.
- The program is very convenient in terms of duration and costs, structured in biweekly sessions of 20 academic hours each, making it adequate for professionals who work in different public and private health institutions nationwide.
- University degree in health disciplines (doctors, nurses, odontologists, psychologists, etc.); business managers, commercial and industrial managers in companies involved with medical technology and equipment, industrial engineers, computer engineers, architects, economists, and related sciences.
- Copy of national identity card or passport.
- Degree certificate with final grade.
- Official grade transcript.
- Printed SENESCYT registration of degree.
- Approve the USFQ postgraduate entrance examination. Please refer to the postgraduate admissions process at USFQ: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/admisiones/admisiones_posgrado
- Pass a multiple-choice examination in topics of health and management
- Present an essay explaining interest in and expectations of the program (2 pages minimum)
- Letter of recommendation from the institution where candidate is employed or academic reference.
Ronald Cedeño Vega
National Director of Prevention and Control Strategies
Ministry of Public Health
Taking the Specialization in Health Management at USFQ has been an unforgettable experience for me. I have had the opportunity to learn from excellent professors, each one using different methodologies and tools that made each class session a space for true formation and personal growth. The program’s content has been very useful to my professional practice because it has allowed me to develop skills for managing health from an ample and integral perspective.
Vicente Ferrándiz Catalán
Technical Director (IC). IESS General Hospital at Ibarra
I was initially somewhat skeptical when I went to the Universidad San Francisco de Quito to inquire about the Specialization in Health Management program, but was later pleasantly surprised for various reasons. I was thrilled by the installations, which are very similar to European ones, especially those in Spain, where I am from. Regarding the professors, they are very accessible, well prepared, and use a modern, participatory, and innovative methodology, which reflects the university’s liberal arts philosophy. I was very pleased, for example, that teachers and students address themselves informally. In sum, I consider this university to provide an excellent education and to have very good professionals. It has given me a magnificent experience.