How it works
9-week option: mid-May to late July
12-week option: mid-May to mid-August
Participating students will be placed in internships in an office of the Quito municipal government and complete 272 hours of work. Placements are available in a variety of city offices (see examples under “Internship Options” tab).
As part of the program students also participate in a mandatory 3-credit internship seminar held at the Universidad San Francisco de Quito. Topics covered include Ecuadorian culture and the workplace, as well as an analysis of their internship experience in the local context. Participants can also take part in an optional Spanish language class (3 credits) offered by USFQ for an additional fee.
Students will be placed in Quito government sites that match their interests, abilities, experience, and Spanish language level. Internship placements can occur in a variety of areas, including the:
- Department of Culture
- Department of Environment
- Department of Mobility
- General Administration
- Mayor’s Office
- Ministry of Communication
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Housing
- Ministry of Security and Governance
- Ministry of Social Inclusion
- Office of International Relations
- Quito Tourism Office
A participating student must:
- Be a university student from outside of Ecuador with a minimum of third year (junior) standing (60 or more earned credits at the time of participation).Graduate students are also welcome to apply.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8.
- Have a minimum of four (4) semesters of college level Spanish or equivalent.
Participants will live with carefully screened host families in Quito. Host families are required to provide students with their own bedroom (bathroom may be shared), Wifi internet access, weekly laundry service, and two meals per day (breakfast and dinner).
Students will have the opportunity to participate in excursions offered to all USFQ summer international students. Typically this includes USFQ’s Tiputini Biodiversity Research Station in the Amazon, a beach trip on the coast, and a town in the highlands of Ecuador.
9-week option: US$3,181
12-week option: US$3,738
- 3 academic credits (transcript from USFQ*)
- On-site academic and cultural orientation
- Homestay in Quito
- Transport from airport (UIO) to homestay family upon arrival
- Cell phone plan with SIM card
- International airfare
- International health insurance
- Local transport (may be included for some internship placements)
- Optional excursions
- Optional Spanish class (3 credits)
- Personal spending money
* One transcript included; extra transcripts carry additional fee.
How To Apply
Complete the online application
- Academic transcript
- Ecuadorian format of resume (template provided in application form)
- Essay on internship placement interests
Application Deadline: March 30
If you would like more information regarding the USFQ Quito Government Summer Internship Program, please contact:
Oficina de Programas Internacionales (OPI)
Universidad San Francisco de Quito
Diego de Robles y Vía Interoceánica
P.O. Box 17-12-841
Tel: +593 2 297-1755