Master's in Teaching English as a Second Language
2 years (4 semesters)
Total credits: 37
Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
RPC-SO-11-No.171-2019, March 20, 2019
Updated CES Approval: RPC-SO-10-No.189-2020, April 8, 2020
Enrollment fee: $1,228.00
July 31, 2021
August 7, 2021
COMMUNITY OUTREACH: Opportunity to participate in community projects that include reading for children, a book fair, and English training programs for teachers and tour guides in the Ecuadorian Amazon Region.
The Master's Program in Teaching English as a Second Language is a professional Master's program that seeks to train qualified teachers in updated knowledge, methods, and practices that apply to the teaching of foreign languages, specifically English. The program connects theory and practice, through its unique combination of knowledge in linguistics and culture with field practice. The small cohorts and face-to-face format offer students the opportunity to work closely with our highly qualified teachers. Additionally, the academic curriculum uniquely blends elective subjects that will allow the student to specialize in different areas. The program is entirely in English. Graduates of the program will be highly proficient in teaching English at all levels, from elementary to university.
This program is designed for professionals from any field of knowledge who have a Bachelor's degree registered in SENESCYT and who are interested in being English teachers. The applicant must be a disciplined and honest person who can work independently and in groups, and who must be able to work with high academic demands. Additionally, it must have the maturity and emotional stability to meet the expectations of the institution, the teachers and the tutors.
Applicants must have a strong knowledge of the English language (equivalent to level B1) and be able to communicate in this language both orally and in writing, since the program is conducted entirely in English. In addition to language, they must possess strong interpersonal skills when handling small and large work groups. Likewise, pedagogical, linguistic, cultural knowledge and/or related fields of knowledge are desired. Additionally, applicants must be organized, motivated, and able to sustain and complete long-term projects.
Future graduates will occupy a working space in the area of education as highly qualified teachers in the teaching of English as a second language in schools, universities, and foreign language institutes.
In addition, graduate students will be able to transmit their knowledge so that their future students can communicate effectively in English in written and spoken form, but they will also master the concepts in the context of the socio-linguistics, history, and culture of the language.
Finally, teachers will design English curricula linked to specific learning objectives with results and will develop teaching practices that promote the transfer and sustainability of learning.
- A unique program in the country, which combines knowledge in linguistics and culture with practices in the area.
- Program taught in English in its entirety.
- High-level professors with international training and experience, most of whom have Ph.D. and are native English speakers.
- Comprehensive support for teachers in their professional goals.
- Scholarships and financial assistance options.
- Graduate-level degree obtained abroad, must be apostilled or legalized by Consular channels. The University will verify that the degree corresponds to a graduate's degree, in accordance with the current Academic System Regulations.
- Knowledge of the English language, equivalent to level B1 of the Common European Framework as a minimum (determined by the USFQ English placement test or by TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge certificate. Certificates must not exceed two years old to date of application).
- Copy of identity card or passport.
- Degree certificate with grade average.
- Official transcript with grades.
- A printed copy of the degree registration at SENESCYT.
Pass the USFQ postgraduate admission exam. To do so, refer to the admissions process at: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/admisiones/admisiones_posgrado
- Letter of intention to enter the program, written in English, explaining your interest in being part of the master's degree.
- Three (3) academic and/or professional letters of recommendation (can be in Spanish or English).
- Personal interview with the Program Admissions Committee
Financing and Scholarships
The cost of the program is $13,508, which can be canceled in the following ways:
- Payment: Cash, Check, Credit card.
- 10% discount for USFQ Alumni.
It can be deferred at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months no interest (Bank cards from Banco del Pichincha, Banco de Guayaquil, and Diners), cards from other banks only current payment.
2 equal installments to be paid annually or 4 equal installments to be paid every six months
Each payment can be deferred to 3, 6, and 9 months no interest, or 12 months with interest (Banco del Pichincha, Banco de Guayaquil, and Diners cards). Other cards, restrictions apply.
The start dates of each semester will be announced in the academic calendar.
Monthly payments through a financing plan (Office E 100) *.
Payment with educational credit/financial institutions, by check or guarantee Boucher, while the bank makes the disbursement (Office E 100) *.
* To access options 3 and 4 contact Robert Gonzales at 2971700 ext. 1892. Office E100. More information about Financial Assistance:
More information about fees, registration and payment methods in the link:
According to the Scholarship Regulations of the graduate program, four (4) scholarships will be awarded per cohort that cover 25% of the value of the program, for this, the economic condition and academic excellence of the candidates will be evaluated and two (2) scholarships for cohort covering 50% of the program for ethnic minority students.
The renewal of the scholarship for the second year of studies will be contingent on the performance shown by students in their first year; expecting at least a Cumulative Global Average (GPA) of 3.2/4.00