Total credits: 400
In-Person classes: 20,000 hours.
Full-time with in-person class shifts.
Extension to the duration established January 25th, 2017
Enrollment fee: $3,636.36
To be determined.
Rotations in several "third-level" (referral or highly specialized hospitals) that will serve as a great contribution to the care training of graduate residents.
Applicants for Neurosurgery or Neonatology must submit their documents in the Especialidades Médicas building in the HDLV-111-B office (next to the "Hospital de Los Valles" in Cumbayá) before acquiring the admissions package.
To train specialists in Neurosurgery, aimed at improving the quality of patient care in all their life cycles with surgical pathologies of the nervous system, of medium and high complexity, dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis, evaluation, therapy, intensive care, and rehabilitation of Surgical diseases of the central, peripheral, and autonomous nervous system, including covers, vascularization, and annexes such as the pituitary, as well as the operative and non-operative management of pain, regardless the age of the patient.
The graduate education in neurosurgery is aimed at national or foreign doctors based in the country, who have a graduate degree in medicine, with one year of experience officially certified by the medical center as a resident in the Neurosurgery Service, who decide to continue education by completing their training in legally accredited national programs.
The applicant must be a person who combines ethical values and principles, who can work autonomously, independently, and in a team; must be able to work under high academic demands and have the maturity and emotional stability to meet the expectations of the institution, of professors, and tutors.
The applicant must undergo the candidate selection process, which is found in the regulations mentioned on the website of the Higher Education Council (CES); and, have a positive attitude of dealing with internal and external users that fosters a culture of humanized behavior.
At the end of the specialization program, our specialist doctors can lead the different neurosurgery medical services and consolidate neuroscience teams in "third-level" (referral or highly specialized hospitals) health entities in our country.
The Neurosurgery Specialization allows the doctor specializing in Neurosurgery to have the ability to diagnose diseases of the central nervous system, especially those that are susceptible to surgical treatment by applying cutting-edge surgical techniques and clinical procedures.
We promote scientific medical research by making available to students the necessary tools for our students to become involved in scientific research projects.
The inter-institutional agreements that USFQ maintains with different health entities such as the Carlos Andrade Marín Hospital, The Eugenio Espejo Hospital, and Pediatric Baca Ortiz Hospital have the necessary equipment and caseload to train and develop professionals of the highest level.
- Graduate degree in medicine duly registered with SENESCYT and with the Ministry of Public Health. In the case of graduate degrees obtained abroad, they must be apostilled or legalized by Consular channels. The University will verify that the degree corresponds to the graduate degree level, under the current Academic System Regulations.
- Have a year of experience certified by a health home as a resident in the Neurosurgery Service.
- Sufficient command of the English language to allow reading, understanding, analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating articles in this language. CEFR level B1 as a minimum.
- For this, the student will take an exam to obtain an internal validation certificate. Those students who do not achieve the required level will be trained in the English language by the USFQ Department of Foreign Languages.
- Copy of the identity card or passport.
- Minutes of grade with a note.
- The official record of undergraduate grades
- Registration of the printed SENESCYT degree.
- Pass the USFQ postgraduate admission exam. To do this, refer to the USFQ Postgraduate admissions process: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/admisiones/admisiones_posgrado
- Undergraduate Graduation Merit Index
- Official certificate of having completed the year of Rural Health of Social Service, issued by the Ministry of Public Health of Ecuador.
- Updated mental, physical, and immunization certificates.
- Updated resume with color photography.
- Additionally, each applicant must complete the requirements outlined in the Technical Standard Resolution No. RPC-SO-No. 006-2019 corresponding to Merits. See link: http://gaceta.ces.gob.ec/inicio.html?id_documento=234102. The documents must be delivered as certified copies.
I am Christian Valencia Padilla, I studied Neurosurgery at USFQ. I chose this university not only for its prestige and its liberal arts, but because it focuses on educating good doctors and specialists, and also for the good people who care about their patients and their community. I chose the best, and now I am seeing great results, having been trained at the best university in the country, I have the privilege of being the Head of Neurosurgery Service in one of the IESS's largest and best-equipped hospitals in Quito, the Carlos Andrade Marín Hospital.