4 academic periods (3 ordinary and 1 extraordinary)
Total credits: 45
Thursday and Friday from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Approved March 28th, 2018
Resolution RPC-SO- 12-No.170-2018
Updated May 20th, 2020
Enrollment fee: $1,327.00
August 1st 2020,
and October 17th
The food industry grows rapidly both in Ecuador and worldwide. Globalization requires the production of food with nutritional, technological and food safety quality that allows the national industry to be competitive in the local and international market. On the other hand, the change in eating habits makes food an important tool to contribute to the well-being of the population. The current consumer is looking for foods that allow them to prevent the risk of disease but at the same time maintain excellent technological, sensorial, nutritional, and food safety.
This is a Professional Master's Program in Food Science and Technology that seeks to respond to the needs of the food industry, consumer demand and changes in the population's eating patterns. The curriculum includes a series of theoretical-practical subjects that sequentially allow the student to progressively learn all the tools necessary to understand and apply the complete methodology that involves the development of new food products.
This program is designed for professionals with gradute-level degrees, preferably in the following detailed fields: Biology (Biology, Microbiology and Biotechnology), Biochemistry, Biopharmaceutical, Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, Food Processing, Industrial Production, Agricultural and Livestock Production, Veterinary, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Pharmacy.
The applicant must be a disciplined, honest person who can work independently and in groups, and must be able to work with high academic demands. Additionally, the applicant must have the maturity and emotional stability to meet the expectations of the institution, the teachers and the tutors.
Likewise, the applicant for this master's degree must have:
- A total commitment to their continuing education.
- Critical and analytical skills.
- Willingness to read and search for information.
- Desire for community service.
The growth of the national food industry, globalization, and changes in eating habits demand technological growth to be more competitive in the national and/or international market. In many food industries, responding to this need, the Research and Development department for new food products has been implemented, with the respective demand for high-level professionals who can lead or take an active part, contributing to the transformation of the national productive matrix. This opens up the employability possibilities for graduates in this program.
At the national level, professionals are required in all fields that involve the industrialization of food, because Ecuador has been importing products from other countries that could easily be produced by Ecuadorian industries. Since the country has a great wealth of food of both animal and plant origin, it is necessary to promote industrialization to offer quality products that can be competitive, diversify national production, and increase exports, generating sources of employment. The current labor market, concentrated in quality supervisors, analysts or technicians, requires professionals in positions such as directors or managers, in research and development of new food products to introduce new products to the national market or improve existing ones that allow the consumer in different aspects. find better options taking care of nutritional, technological and safety aspects. On the other hand, national production must correspond to the quality requirements established at the national and international level due to the parameters determined by the globalization that currently governs competition.
Our graduates will also be able to form their own food companies or work in research centers that require successful professionals with solid professional and human training.
Our learning model combines theoretical and experimental teaching, carried out in laboratories or a pilot plant.
Our pilot plant has several production lines: dairy, fruit and vegetables, meat, cereals, beer, cookies, and bread.
The management of small groups of students allows the learning-by-doing system to be applied, with a personalized treatment.
Our faculty has a solid academic background, mostly at the Ph.D. level, in addition to experience in the food industry in different lines of research.
The curriculum design of the program includes all the scientific and technological tools necessary for the successful formation of the future professional, without forgetting the human being, complying with USFQ liberal arts philosophy.
- Bachelor's degree registered in SENESCYT in the fields of Biology (Biology, Microbiology and Biotechnology), Biochemistry, Biopharmaceutical, Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, Food Processing, Industrial Production, Agricultural and Livestock Production, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Public Health, Biochemistry and Pharmacy. In the case of Bachelor's degrees obtained abroad, they must be apostilled or legalized by Consular means. The University will verify that the degree corresponds to Bachelor's degree, in accordance with the current Academic Regime Regulations.
- Sufficient command of the English language to read, understand, analyze, synthesize and evaluate articles in the English language. CEFR level A2 as a minimum.
- Copy of the identity card or passport.
- Degree certificate with grade average.
- Official transcript with grades.
- A printed copy of degree registration at SENESCYT .
- Pass the USFQ graduate admission exam. To do this, refer to the USFQ Postgraduate admissions process: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/admisiones/admisiones_posgrado
- Take the Specific Admission Test for the Master's Program in Food Science and Technology.
- Interview with the Program Management.
- Curriculum vitae. If you have work experience, present certificates.
- Three academic or professional letters of recommendation in a sealed envelope. The letters should be addressed to the Program Management, and they should highlight the qualities, strengths, and capacities of the applicant for entry to the training program.
- Any additional document that helps in the decision of the Admissions Committee of the Graduate Program.
Funding and scholarships
The value of the program is $14,600, the following methods of payment apply:
Payments: Cash, check, student loan and credit card. For this last payment method, please take into account the following: payments with Grupo Pichincha, and Grupo Guayaquil cards can be deferred to 3, 6, and 9 months without interest; however, if the total value of the program is paid, your payment may defer up to 12 months without interest.
More information about credit card payments at the following link: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/programas_academicos/posgrado/Paginas/aranceles.aspx
Payments for academic periods: The total of the graduate program can be paid in 4 (four) equal payments, the dates of which will coincide with the beginning of each academic period. More information on this can be found in the academic calendar of your graduate program.
Payment 50/50: Pay $7,300 at the beginning of the program and the remaining $7,300 at the beginning of the second year.
Monthly payment plans: In the event that the applicant does not have credit cards, checks will be accepted as monthly payment methods. For more information, go to the Financial Assistance Offices. More information on Financial Assistance at: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/programas_academicos/posgrado/Paginas/asistenciafinanciera.aspx
USFQ Alumni have a 10% discount.
According to the Scholarship Regulations of the graduate program, three (3) half scholarships (50% of the fees) will be awarded at the beginning of the first year, to applicants who demonstrate academic and professional excellence in the admission process. Additionally, three (3) 25% scholarships will be awarded at the beginning of the second year to those who demonstrate academic excellence in the graduate program.
For more information, contact the graduate program.