Master’s in Civil Engineering
Master’s in Civil Engineering, Mention in Design and Construction of Earthquake Resistant Structures
Total credits: 46
Academic hours: 2148
Class sessions 4 days a week.
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 17h30 to 20h45, and Saturday from 8h30 to 11h45.
The program includes eight intensive, week-long modules at random intervals, with classes every day from Monday through Friday, 17h30 to 21h45, and Saturday, 8h30 to 12h45.
Start of classes:
Dates of entrance examination:
15 September, 20 October, 17 November of 2018. 12 January, 16 February, 16 March, 13 April, 11 May, 08 and 29 June of 2019.
The program provides leveling courses for candidates that require it, previous to the start of classes.
Classes are given by professors from Ecuador, Spain, Chile and Mexico.
One-year student affiliation to the Project Management Institute P.M.I
This program is an opportune and adequate response to the country’s present need for highly qualified professionals in the field of earthquake resistant engineering. It also responds to the demand for professionals that are trained in the most modern scientific technologies developed worldwide for the solution of earthquake resistant safety problems in physical infrastructure projects, upon which the social and economic sustainable development of the country is fundamentally based.
The importance and transcendence of the top-level professional training afforded by this master’s program is evidenced in the wide field of application presented by the knowledge imparted therein with regards to multiple of the country’s development sectors. Physical infrastructure projects for which knowledge gained in this program is applicable include, among others: housing developments, office buildings, medical centers and hospitals, educational and cultural centers, workplaces, industrial centers, shopping malls, sporting facilities, vacation and tourist resorts, road infrastructure, bridges, interchanges, viaducts, tunnels, energy generation projects, drinking water and electric supply systems, and flood control systems.
Candidates to the Master’s in Civil Engineering, with Mention in Design and Construction of Earthquake Resistant Structures, must have a university degree in:
- Detailed field: Construction and Civil Engineering
Candidates must be willing to accept great personal, academic, and professional challenges, and have as their objective eventually working in an upper-level technical capacity, in either the public or the private sector, in earthquake resistant planning, design, and construction of physical infrastructure projects. They must be disciplined, honest people, capable of working both independently and in a group. They must be able to perform under high levels of academic demand, and have the maturity and emotional stability to meet the expectations of the institution and of their professors.
Candidates to this master’s program must be totally committed to their continuous education; must possess critical and analytical skills; and, must be greatly disposed to reading, research, and the quest for new solutions to any problems they will face.
The program has a limited number of available spaces. Priorities will be established based on academic performance and personal and professional merits.
For further information:
Fernando Romo P.
Office: Hayek 317
Office: Hayek 302
Telephone: 297-1700 ext. 1146
Postgraduate Coordinator – Admissions
Telephone: 297-1700 ext. 1824
Graduates from the Master’s in Civil Engineering program, with Mention in Design and Construction of Earthquake Resistant Structures, will be prepared for and highly trained in:
- Using the most modern technology and construction practices for the analysis, design, and construction of earthquake resistant structural systems.
- Planning, evaluating, and designing all types of earthquake resistant structures used in the construction of infrastructure projects, and that require different types of structural materials, such as: masonry, reinforced concrete, steel, and prestressed concrete.
- Incorporating the philosophy of non-linear structural analysis and design, based on structural performance (performance-based design), as well as the use of innovative construction technologies developed worldwide, such as seismic isolators and energy dissipators for deformation control, with the objective of improving earthquake resistant behavior of structures in buildings and bridges.
- Participating with professional responsibility in the design and construction of special-characteristic and highly complex projects, such as very tall buildings, long-span bridges with special construction systems, and essential buildings, which are those that after an earthquake must continue operating normally.
Solvent use of analysis and scientific research processes that are specific to the technical and economic circumstances which characterize each one of the cases that graduates will have to face in their professional lives, with the objective of becoming highly trained professionals, versed in the use of the most modern technology and construction experience so as to find the most convenient and efficient solution to earthquake resistant safety problems in all types of buildings and structures that are necessary to the normal development of activities in practically all the economic sectors of the country, both public and private.
Application of research competencies acquired in the following fields, among others, which are fundamental to our professional exercise and that are related to the lines of research proposed for students taking this program:
- Elaboration of mathematical models for the non-linear analysis of earthquake resistant structures
- Mathematical generation of artificial earthquakes with similar characteristics to real earthquakes that may occur in a given locale
- Generation of seismic response spectra for the analysis of earthquake resistant structures, based on risk assessments for a given locale
- Definition of bases and criteria upon which structural behavior analyses of essential buildings must be conducted
- Definition of the fundamental bases upon which mathematical models of structures with seismic base isolation are conducted
- Definition of the fundamental bases upon which mathematical models of structures with damper systems for dissipation of energy are conducted
- Research on the behavior of construction materials used in buildings affected by earthquakes
- Research on required upgrades to different aspects contemplated in earthquake resistant design and construction norms and codes
- University degree, duly registered with SENESCYT, in Construction and Civil Engineering.
- Demonstrate sufficiency in English equivalent to Level A1 in the Common European Framework.
- Copy of national identity card or passport.
- Degree certificate with final grade.
- Official grade transcript.
- Printed SENESCYT registration of degree.
- Approve the USFQ postgraduate entrance examination. Please refer to the postgraduate admissions process at USFQ: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/admisiones/admisiones_posgrado
- Proof of specific knowledge in the field of study.
- Interview with Program Director.
- Updated curriculum vitae, including copies of certificates and diplomas.
- Three letters of recommendation: one academic and two professional.
Funding and scholarships
- The cost of the program is $15.798 dollars.
- For payment, please take into account the following options:
- Payment: Cash, check, credit card.
- USFQ Alumni have a 10% discount.
- Payment with credit card: Deferred in 3, 6, 9 months without interest with Grupo Pichincha and Grupo Guayaquil cards; in 12 months without interest only if entire cost of program is paid.
- Regarding credit card payments: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/programas_academicos/posgrado/Paginas/aranceles.aspx
- 50/50 payment: Pay $7.899 dollars at the start of the program (April 2019), and the remaining $7.899 dollars mid-way through the program (April 2020)
- Monthly payment plans: In case a candidate does not have credit cards, checks will be accepted as a means of monthly payment. For further information, please approach the Office of Financial Aid.
- Further information on financial aid can be found at: http://www.usfq.edu.ec/programas_academicos/posgrado/Paginas/asistenciafinanciera.aspx
For scholarships to the program: In accordance with the Postgraduate Scholarship Regulations of the program, one or two scholarships will be awarded to candidates who demonstrate academic excellence during the admissions process.