Doctorate in Microbiology
PhD in Microbiology
Total credits: 130
Academic hours: 4160
Monday through Friday from 7h30 to 19h00 (varies according to teacher availability)
Saturdays (09:00 a 18:00) and Sundays (09:00-16:00)
Start of classes:
Dates of entrance examination:
4 August and
This doctorate program was created for the purpose of advancing Microbiology and scientific research in the country. The doctorate program has a duration of four years, requires intense research work, and is designed for professionals who have a previous scientific trajectory. Formation includes training in the fields of research ethics, bioethics, and pedagogy for the teaching of science.
- Graduates of the PhD in Microbiology program will have gained profound knowledge of modern microbiology, including classical, biomolecular and bioinformatic techniques. Our professionals will be specially prepared to face national problems related to microorganisms in different fields associated to human and animal health.
- Our professionals must be able to collaborate (with colleagues and in an interdisciplinary fashion); they must also be enterprising and capable of assuming management or supervisory responsibilities in research projects, as well as in research and diagnostic laboratories.
- Our graduates must have a clear understanding of the logical processes that lead to hypothesis formulation, process analysis, and project proposal, as well as the technical abilities necessary to undertake research.
- Our graduates must be individuals who demonstrate independent thinking and creativity.
- They must be fully aware of the ethical aspects of scientific research with regards to work with human subjects and living beings, as well as concerning the integrity of scientific data reporting.
- Graduates must be capable of writing scientific articles and presenting their work in scientific venues.
- We expect our graduates to have a global perspective of the role played by scientific and microbiological research in human development.
For further information:
Gabriel Trueba, Ph.D
Telephone: (+593 2) 297-1700 ext. 1836
Telephone: (+593 2) 297-1700 ext. 1789
Postgraduate Coordinator – Admissions
Telephone: (+593 2) 297-1700 ext. 1824
Graduates of this program are trained to assume responsibilities as:
- University professors
- Scientists in microbiological research centers
- Consultants in the field of scientific research
- Consultants in the different fields of microbiology
- Managers of microbiological laboratories
- Professors with top-level scientific training
- Cooperation with internationally-renowned research centers
- Investigation of problems that are contemporary and of national interest
- Cutting edge laboratories and technology
- Scholarship and financial aid opportunities
This program is designed for professionals with legitimate interest and experience in scientific research related to Microbiology. The candidate must be a person that is capable of performing to exacting academic standards, both individually and within a group. The program seeks people who are disciplined, honest and mature, and that are able to meet the university’s expectations.
Requirement 1: Have a master’s degree in fields related to microbiology. This degree must be registered with the national Secretariat for Higher Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation (SENESCYT).
Requirement 2: Have completed and presented the program’s admission form.
Requirement 3: Be the author or co-author of a scientific paper published in an indexed journal (PubMed, Scopus, Latinindex).
Requirement 4: Have passed the entrance examination to postgraduate programs at USFQ.
Requirement 5: Demonstrate sufficiency in English equivalent to a B1 level.
Requirement 6: Have presented three academic recommendation letters and an official document (or copy thereof) that indicates grade point average at graduation or is an official transcript of grades during previous postgraduate studies.
Requirement 7: Have presented an application letter indicating the candidate’s motivation to undertake this doctorate.
Requirement 8: Enjoy the rights of citizenship.
Funding and scholarships
The Doctorate in Microbiology program offers various types of scholarships and financial aid, which are awarded in recognition of candidate grades and performance. This process requires a case by case analysis of each candidate’s situation.