"We develop efficient solutions for optimization and continuous improvement"
The Industrial Engineering program focuses on continuous improvement and optimization of processes and integrated systems of people, materials, information, and equipment. Different tools, methodologies, and technological applications are studied in order to increase the quality and productivity levels of organizations. Additionally, analysis and implementation of proposals and effective strategies are addressed.
The Industrial Engineer is a professional trained in a generation of competitiveness, which is sustained by quality and productivity. They establish a direct connection between the operational areas and management; they motivate and enhance the capabilities of human talent, thus allowing for contribution to any manufacturing or service organization. The USFQ Industrial Engineering degree is accredited by the ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission.
Based on the philosophy of Liberal Arts that the USFQ offers its students, the Industrial Engineering degree is designed in such a way that the students, while being trained in technical tools, can develop in the different areas they are interested in. During the first semesters, students take subjects that are fundamental for an engineer such as calculus, physics, and chemistry, while also having the opportunity to expand their learning horizons with the General College classes. As they advance in their studies, students delve into subjects related to the various areas of Industrial Engineering such as: Operations, Research and Optimization, Logistics and Supply Chain, Quality Engineering and Applied Statistics, Ergonomics, Human Factors and Industrial Safety, Engineering Management, Production Systems, and Manufacturing Engineering.
- The USFQ Industrial Engineering degree is accredited by the ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission. Additional information on accreditation can be found at the following link: Why accreditation matters?
- The professors of the Industrial Engineering program are professionals with solid academic training and extensive work experience. All of them have extensive studies in their areas of specialty, locally and abroad.
- The plan of study is designed to train leading professionals with an international vision and academic rigor, promoting free, creative and innovative people, with a broad business culture, who will act with social responsibility in the fields of the industry.
- A significant percentage of Industrial Engineering students participate in international academic exchange programs and internships through the agreements that USFQ maintains in several countries with educational institutions and companies, both services and manufacturing, for example: University of Illinois, Virginia Tech, Oregon State University, Purdue University, among others.
- USFQ has a student chapter of the Institute of Industrial Engineers IISE (#734), the most recognized professional association in the world in the field of Industrial Engineering. The chapter is managed by the students themselves, with the guidance of a mentoring professor, and it is a space where various academic, professional and social activities are carried out: the objective is for the Industrial Engineering students to promote the program, work as a team, and create a support network. Due to the chapter's achievements, the international IISE, based in the USA, granted them the “Gold” award in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in research and consulting projects carried out by professors of the Industrial Engineering program, through inter-institutional agreements both locally and internationally.
- Students have presented and won multiple awards at national and international conferences, the most recent being: 1st prize in the technical devices contest of the IISE global competition, where they competed with universities such as Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, California State University-Pomona, among others; 1st prize in the technical devices contest of the Latin American congress Scale of MIT; 1st and 2nd place in the devices contest of the IISE student congress; 1st and 3rd place in the Latin American Logistics Simulation contest.
- USFQ is part of the network of academic allies of the Latin American Center for Logistics Innovation – CLI, member for Latin America of the MIT Supply Chain & Logistics Excellence Network.
- USFQ has the Institute of Logistics and Supply Chain Innovation - USFQ, made up mainly of professors from the Industrial Engineering degree, in order to carry out, together with the students, research and consulting in the following areas: Urban Logistics, Supply Chain Analytics, Sustainability in Logistics, Humanitarian Logistics, Quality and Productivity in the Supply Chain.
- Industrial Engineering students can access scholarships for professional certifications offered by USFQ, such as certification in Six Sigma Green Belt and Black Belt.
- The Industrial Engineering graduate analyzes and implements solutions and strategies to increase the quality and productivity levels of organizations.
- The Industrial Engineer is the direct connection between the operational areas and management; they motivate and enhance the capabilities of human talent to achieve efficiency.
- The Industrial Engineering graduate is highly valued, and their degree and experience allow them to work in any industry that interests them, both manufacturing and services, in roles such as: optimization of operations and supply chains, planning and design of industrial plants, implementation of quality systems, optimization of organizational and manufacturing processes, consulting and execution of continuous improvement plans, and project management, among others.
“In my experience, the Industrial Engineering career at USFQ goes beyond classroom teaching: it focuses on providing students with a high quality and unique experience. Without a doubt, it is a door to a world of opportunities. It was thanks to the unconditional support of the professors that I managed to study my fourth year of engineering at Oregon State University, in addition to achieving first place in the IISE global scientific devices contest. Currently, I am working for Kardex Group in the area of business analysis in Zurich, Switzerland. It is the best decision I have ever made.”
- Dominique Almendariz, Industrial Engineering Class of 2018 -
"USFQ is the Ecuadorian university with the most experience in Industrial Engineering and is continuously innovating. Furthermore, as an institution, it includes the student as an important part of the entity, supporting them and taking advantage of their capabilities and aptitudes. It also offers great opportunities and resources in terms of scholarships, in recognition of student effort and performance. "
- Sebastián Mena, Industrial Engineering Class of 2011 -
"Obtaining a university degree is an important decision not only because you choose the activity you plan on dedicating a large part of your time to, but also because you decide the place and the people that will surround you during this stage of growth. With this in mind, I chose USFQ because it gave me the opportunity to learn in a dynamic environment, cultivate great friendships, and learn from excellent professionals. I chose the Industrial Engineering program because it allowed me to learn the most relevant topics in the industry, its organization, management, and processes. The comprehensive vision of Industrial Engineering allows you to learn about manufacturing and services, and opens the door to choose the path of specialization you prefer."
- Giovannina Zapata, Industrial Engineering Class of 2010 -
"I always wanted to study at a university that would allow me to complement my interest in numbers and the Liberal Arts. USFQ not only gave me that opportunity, but also awarded me a scholarship to fulfill that wish. During my undergraduate studies, the General College helped me develop a global vision of things and an incredible desire to explore the arts, sciences, and
- Rubén Proaño, graduate of Industrial Engineering 1998 -
Our Teachers' Comments:
"To evolve and grow academically through contact with the students and to make them interested in carrying out research on various topics, which involve the industry, the environment, and the university, is a challenge that is taken on on a daily basis and helps to train industrial engineers who, upon graduation, interact in the environment with confidence that what they are doing they learned or can learn."
- Ximena Córdova, Ph.D. -
"I graduated as a Mechanical Engineer, and although this branch of engineering is very interesting, in the professional field I realized that the component of knowledge in Industrial Engineering is fundamental for all professionals, regardless of the area in which they are focused. So, I decided to specialize in Industrial Engineering to finally find my way. From my perspective, Industrial Engineering connects the operational part of any company in any industry with the managerial part and becomes essential in decision making. Even when the Industrial Engineer looks for continuous improvement of any existing process, he is capable of designing a complete system that functions efficiently. I had the opportunity to work for companies dedicated to the construction and distribution of pharmaceutical products, in which I was able to successfully apply Industrial Engineering knowledge. I also experimented in the academic area and I can assure you that Industrial Engineering has multiple greatly relevant areas of knowledge development. Today, as a professor at USFQ, I have the opportunity to openly transmit and expand experiences and knowledge with students and teachers in an environment of trust and respect. "
- Galo Mosquera, Professor -
La carrera de Ingeniería Industrial está diseñada con el objetivo de que nuestros graduados sean capaces alcanzar los siguientes logros profesionales dentro de 3-5 después de su graduación:
- Ser capaces de optimizar sistemas organizacionales aplicando herramientas de ingeniería industrial para alcanzar soluciones eficientes y eficaces.
- Ser capaces de añadir valor a las organizaciones a través de sus habilidades de comunicación efectiva y trabajo en equipo; mostrando liderazgo e innovación enmarcados en sólidos valores éticos y sociales.
- Ser capaces de valorar la importancia de la continua adquisición de conocimientos y destrezas para adaptarse a las necesidades de negocios y avances tecnológicos.
Resultados de Aprendizaje
La carrera de Ingeniería Industrial está diseñada con el objetivo de que nuestros estudiantes adquieran las siguientes habilidades y conocimientos:
- Problemas de Ingeniería: Identificar, formular y resolver problemas complejos de ingeniería mediante la aplicación de principios de matemáticas ciencias e ingeniería.
- Diseño de sistemas: Aplicar el diseño/técnicas de ingeniería para producir soluciones que satisfagan las necesidades específicas tomando en cuenta la salud pública, la seguridad y el bienestar, así como factores globales, culturales, sociales, ambientales y económicos.
- Comunicación efectiva: Comunicarse efectivamente con un diverso rango de audiencias.
- Responsabilidad: Reconocer las responsabilidades éticas y profesionales, y hacer juicios informados que consideren el impacto de las soluciones de ingeniería en contextos globales, económicos, ambientales y sociales.
- Trabajo en equipo: Desempeñarse en un equipo de trabajo, cuyos miembros proporcionan liderazgo, crean un entorno colaborativo e inclusivo, establecen objetivos, planifican tareas y cumplen objetivos.
- Experimentación & Análisis de Datos: Diseñar y conducir experimentos, analizar e interpretar los datos y obtener conclusiones.
- Aprendizaje continuo: Adquirir y aplicar nuevos conocimientos utilizando estrategias de aprendizaje apropiadas.